Northwest of Podgora is Tucepi (4 km from Podgo- ra; 1763 inhabitants). Ancient Biston was probably located here. ln the graveyard, fragments of the stone inventory of an Old Christian church of the 5th or 6th century have been found, and two stechaks. Next to the Iadran Hotel there is a 15th century Romanesque and Gothic church, St. George’s* (Sveti Iuraj), which has Roman capitals built into its walls. According to a local folk legend, the Venetian Doge Pietro l Candiano is buried here. In fact, the ﬁrst of the four Venetian Doges of the Candiano family, Pietro, died on 18th September 886 in a battle against the Neretvans who defeated the Venetian ﬂeet near Makar- ska. After this defeat, the Venetians made a treaty with Prince Branimir (in 888), agreeing to pay the Croatian rulers a tribute for the right to sail and trade unmolested along the Adriatic, which they had to adhere to until the end of the 10th century. Near the church there are two stechaks (see Neretva-Delta, Neum). In Drasnice (3 km southeast of Podgora, 320 inhabitants) is the Gothic Chapel of St. Stephen (Sveti Stjepan) whose existence is linked with a journey made by Duke Stjepan Kosaca on his way to Dubrovnik. There is a tablet telling of the inci- dent in the Archaeological Museum in Split. There are also stechaks in the old graveyard by St. George’s Church.