Krk is the largest island in the Adriatic (405.78 km2). It is 38 km long and, it its widest, 18 km in breadth. There are a total of 68 settlements (14 of them having population of over 200) with 16 500 inhabitants. The Cathedral (The Assumption of the Virgin Mary) is an extremely interesting piece of archi- tecture. It is a Romanesque building which has been added to several times. Its present appearance dates from the 12th century. As early as the 5th or 6th centuries there was a Chris- itian temple built on the foundations of Roman baths. The columns in the interior (both Roman and Romanesque) clearly show the variety of styles present in this building. In the lefthand nave of the cathedral there is a Frankopan chapel from the 15th century with a Gothic vault. There are also gravestones in the cathedral of the Krk Bishops from the 14th to the 16th centuries, as well as a Gothic crucifix and a Gothic sculpture of the Madonna in Glory. The Frankopan silver altarpiece is the work of P. Koler from 1477. Particularly impressive are two Renaissance lecterns and a wooden pulpit from the 17th century. The altar piece The burial in the grave is the work of G.A. Pordenone (G.A. de Sacchi, 1483- 1539). In a chapel in the right-hand nave there are four paintings by C. Tosca from I709. In the Bishop’s Palace there is a collection of paintings by Italian masters of the 16th and 17th centuries. It is thought that the most valuable painting is a polyptych of St. Lucy (Sveta Lucija) by Paolo Veneziano (?-1362). the most signiﬁcant ﬁgure in Venetian art in the ﬁrst half of the 14th century. This painting was once in the Glagolitic Abbey of St. Lucy (Sveta Lucija) in Iurandvor (where the Baska Tablet was also housed). St. Quirinus (Sveti Kvirin; adjoining the cathedral). This Romanesque basilica is a most unusual church. It is a double-navecl building from the 10th or 11th century. A street now runs through what was its aisle. The entrance to the church is through the bell tower which was built from the 16th to the 18th centuries. Inside the church there are fragments of Romanesque frescoes. The city towers and walls also belong to various eras. The square shaped tower (Kamplin) dates from 1191, from the time of the Krk Counts Bartol and Vid. The walls and bastions on the sea front are from the time of Nikola Frankopan (1407). The cylindrical tower and the town gates are Venetian, from the 15th or 16th century. Other items of interest. In P. Franolic street there is the Canon‘s House (Kotter House) with a Glagolitic text from the llth century.