Historic city of Trogir
The historical city centre is the most interesting sight in Trogir. It consists of two parts: to the east, the city in the narrower sense, and to the west, the farm workers’ quarter known as Pasika, which was also enclosed by the city walls. There are hardly any houses in the city without a particular stylistic mark, coat of arms or inscription. Many places and houses are still standing which date back to the 13th century, and about 10 churches, but these are only the best-known sights. A special feature of Trogir, in its Dalmatian context, is the pinnacle of achievement of its stone work and sculpture. Because of the great value of the whole of the city centre as a monument, in 1997 the city was placed on the UNESCO list of sites of the world heritage.
The city walls and gates
On the southern side of the city, a large stretch of the medieval city Walls has been preserved with towers dating from the period between the 13th and the 14th century (the remainder of the walls were demolished mainly at the beginning of the 19th century). In the centre of the southern walls a new city gate was opened in 1593 and has remained intact to the present day. It was built in the Mannerist style. On the gate there is an inscription praising the city, once under the Romans, and its people. Immediately next to the gate there is a loggia (now a ﬁsh market) where at one time travellers spent the night after the city gates had been shut. On the southwestern edge of the city there is a fortress known as Kamerlengo which housed Venetian troops. The fortress was built after 1420, by enclosing the south-western corner of the city walls, although the polygonal tower here is from an earlier date. Nowadays it is used as an open air theatre. In front of it is the memorial park for the Trogir area in the anti-fascist war. On the northern side of the city there is a Baroque city gate from the 17th century, with a Gothic statue showing the city’s patron saint, Bishop Ivan (John). St. Mark’s Tower (Sveti Marko) on the north-western edge of the city stands built in the 15th century to defend the part of the city facing the mainland.